For progressivism, ‘science’ has become a safety blanket in which its adherents can swaddle themselves to avoid confronting alternative beliefs.
Whatever your politics, be wary of this tactic of trying to shut down discussion.
“Science” is an ever-changing body based on what we know or what we think we know. The Earth used to be flat. The Earth used to be the center of the universe. Pluto used to be a planet.
That’s not to say that evidence should be ignored, but I often wonder when you hear something like “95% of scientists agree that X” what it is that the other 5% disagree with. Consensus does not equal truth.